Sunday, April 24, 2011

He has Risen...Over the Nation's Capital!

Happy Easter! Today marks the first Easter holiday away from family and friends...just with my Gio this year. I have to say though, it has already been am amazing day. D.C. is truly a wonderful city. I am convinced of this more and more all the time. We attended a sunrise service at the Lincoln Memorial this morning. We woke up SUPER early and got to the mall area before the sun rose. Thousands showed up to hear a sermon and sing hymns. It was really nice.


Took at nap and went to some new friend's house for Easter brunch. It was a really nice visit, and nice to have people to share our holiday with. The group was from our church here- all young military families showed up today. I feel a bit more supported and understood by this group. It is really nice to be surrounded by people who experience what you are experiencing.We were all away from our families on this holiday, many for the first time, but somehow it felt ok, because we had each other. Even though we are really mostly strangers, it felt comforting and safe. 


A woman from our church was there today with her three young kids alone. I found out that her husband was deployed to Afghanistan- today! On Easter! This was a reality check. I WILL go through this at one point- possible several points, if Giovanni decides to make a career out of the military. I will be left all alone again, but next time possibly with children, far away from family and friends. Most likely I will be experiencing countless  holidays and celebrations on my own. That is simply the bottom line. I need to learn to enjoy these moments while they are happening. I think I just may be beginning to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment