Friday, April 22, 2011

What Does the Future Hold?

As I sit here at my local coffee shop, I am surprised at the comfort and ease I feel in this place. I cannot believe that I have been married for almost six months now and living in the D.C. area for almost a year! Leaving NYC to this "suburb" was not an easy transition for me. I was terrified about how I was going to spend my free time. I had been living alone in the big city, doing whatever I pleased. I spent my days literally running around. I left my fourth floor upper east side walk-up each morning at 6 am and did not return until 9pm. I walked two miles to the school I taught at each morning and evening. I roamed the city streets, shopped around, lingered at coffee shops and museums, did hot yoga and kickboxing classes. Now I sit here and wonder how the heck I had the energy.

Now here I am married, comfortable, and at ease. It is amazing how calm and collected I feel. It is amazing that I can honestly say I am in love with Arlington Va. This was the best way to start our marriage. We have only each other here, and we experience everything fresh and new together. I will miss this place when the time comes yet again to move on.

We just signed our lease again for another year. This makes me happy. But then there is the question: Where will we be next? Japan? San Diego? North Carolina? I am beginning to feel uneasy about this moving thing. It took me almost a year to get used to this transition...took a lot out of me. Is this what my future holds? Terrible transitions followed by a year of comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment